Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The mammogram chronicles – part 2: Is it worth it?

On February 2, I tried to schedule a mammogram. I’m still waiting to get an appointment.

A few days ago, a reporter interviewed a woman who is a part of my health care region on the radio. About a year ago, they closed the health care facility in her area and she now has to go to the main central clinic for a mammogram (the same one where I’m still waiting for an appointment).

She lives about 80 kilometers from the clinic. She was saying if you’re dependent on public transportation, it basically takes all day to get to and from the clinic, not to mention the cost of train and bus tickets. She said that she and several women she knows have decided to skip mammograms in the future (and take their chances).

I know how she feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Är du svensk? Det går även alldeles utmärkt att skriva kommentarer på svenska!/Comments in Swedish are also welcome!